I had the opportunity to spend the Day with Wyatt Fulton as we hiked the Hickory Hammock Trail just outside of Lorida Florida. According to Wyatt’s GPS we were 4.2 miles into the trail when I asked him, any suggestion for 2009? Here is what he had to say:
1. Take a 12 gauge shotgun to your satellite dish. Watching 24-hour news cycles are not healthy and a waste of time. Use this time to read, listen to music, talk to your family and go for brisk walks.
2. When someone mentions global warming-you snap back and snap back hard! Listen I’m not going to get into this global warming discussion. Global warming, fact or not is just another media and political distraction and to make us feel guilty and miserable about ourselves for destroying the world. We are making our kids raise money in schools to donate to some rainforest in Brazil. Instead, we need to look at our local rivers, roadways, wilderness areas that are discarded with litter and polluted. Get involved with local organizations and contribute your brain and time, just don’t throw money at it.
3. Take a kid fishing, walking, hiking. Teach them that nature is to be enjoyed, not feared. Nature is a gift to help us recreate our minds and rejuvenate our spirit.
4. Twice a week go outside and look at the sky during any time of the day. Look up for five minutes, watch the sky, pause your life.
5. Plant a vegetable garden, share or trade with your neighbors. Artichokes, tomatoes, collards, from a friends’ garden are a wonderful surprise.
6. Buy American!